Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Laissez Bon Temps Rouler

We went to our first Mardi Gras parade this year in Louisiana. We hit two in the past week, to try and get the full effect. And because I was whiny and staged a coup at the first parade, when Mr. Deering went to the bathroom - I took all our stuff and kids to the car prematurely...

It was long. We sat on the wrong end and didn't know it, so we had to wait an extra 1.5 hours. Yeah. The weather wasn't bad for most of it.

The floats were fun, but they just kept coming! I'm a simple person. In Tularosa New Mexico, my hometown, I believe parades lasted about 20 minutes. There were 3 to 5 pickup trucks with or without trailers attached and all the local high school students riding on the back. Sometimes, candy was thrown. Then we went home.

Because the "good times were rolling" (did you know what that Cajun/French phrase meant? Me neither), there was an amazing, random variety of things thrown from these floats. Music was blaring from loudspeakers, and things like plastic cups (?), candy, stuffed animals, masks, decks of playing cards, moon pies, and packets of artificial bacon bits (containing Red 40!) were tossed at our heads. I got hit with beads twice in the face, but protected the baby from it.

I don't get it. The first parade we went to, last week, I wandered into Walmart and bought avocados instead of waiting with the revelers.

Then I ate some. Maybe I don't quite fit in. I just peeled it and ate it, since I had no knife. Well, except for Mr. Deering's pocket knife that he always has. 

While walking around, I tried to go into the other stores in the area, thinking that they must love the extra foot traffic. The area was PACKED. But there was only one store open. When I asked why, the cashier told me that everywhere near the parade route has to close. Otherwise, people will walk in, trash the stores, and pee in their trash cans. 

Ah. Let the good times roll. 


I just don't get Mardi Gras. 

But we got beads. And those are totally dye and gluten free. 


Xander also got a SpongeBob hat. He was quite pleased. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you at least enjoyed the avocado. I'm sure the kids had fun. Brought back fond memories of Tularosa, NM. Only us small town folk would understand.

    ReplyDelete