Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

No "No Poo" or There and Back Again

Back in 2007, I learned that women don't need to wash their hair every day. That was a revelation to me. Then I stumbled upon The Curly Girl Method, from a book by Lorraine Massey. You can get the idea from this Wiki entry.

3 Ways to Follow the Curly Girl Method

The basic idea is to use shampoo one last time, then continue your life with washing your hair with conditioner only. I like the theory behind it, and it should work well for many people. Well, I'm finally realizing that I'm not one of them. And you're probably thinking... "it took SEVEN years to figure this out?" Um... yeah.

Because I still had dandruff problems with my hair on the conditioner only method, I read and researched and googled some more. Farther down the rabbit hole I went, until I came to the No Poo movement.

If you haven't heard of No Poo, here's the basics. You don't use shampoo on your hair. There's variations, like the Water Only style, or some do baking soda and apple cider vinegar as needed.

Here's a news article with details, but there are countless stories online.
Ditching Shampoo?

No Poo advocates maintain that dandruff and such increase because shampoo will strip the natural oils from the hair, then the body tries to replace it and ups the oil production. So I tried and tried... Again. Seven years.

So after years of No Poo, I went back to conditioner only. Still dandruff. Lots of it. I drew the line at Head and Shoulders and such.

At the end of 2013 I got into essential oils. I use doTERRA and love them. I saw suggestions for dandruff in my big oil book, Modern Essentials. I tried the ideas there, melaleuca or geranium, I believe. I don't think I was consistent enough, but I'm lazy. And yeah, I have 4 kids and don't always get the time to lovingly, mindfully cleanse my tresses with essential oils... bah. I'm lucky to shower at all. So nine months into doTERRA, I took the plunge and bought their hair care products. My (male) chiropractor has been raving about them for quite a while, so I felt a little obligated... I'm the one that helped him get his oils in a kit!

Dandruff is gone. My shampoo smells like orange jello from childhood. And the conditioner is a grown up blend of smells like rosemary and cedarwood. I feel like an Herbal Essenses commercial from the 90's.

Yes, doTERRA's shampoo and conditioner can be expensive... but my hair has never been so soft and clean. And I earn 30% of the cost back as points to spend on oils next month. Um yeah, 30% rocks. They do their best to include "none of the bad" things that I'd want to avoid, although if you were severely allergic to gluten, there might be a derivative in there. There's also some of the "cones" that the curly girls worry about. But I've said to heck with that... I just want my hair to be clean and not flaky and not have a bunch of Sodium Laureth Sulfate in it.

You can look at doTERRA's stuff here. But PLEASE do not click "buy" on anything. It would charge retail prices and that's way too much. If you're interested, comment here or email me.

What do you use in your hair?

Correction! I emailed doTERRA to see about the gluten possibility. Appears to be all clear.

"We appreciate your inquiry. None of doTERRA’s products contain any gluten. All ingredients thought to be potential gluten contributors have all been fully analyzed and were found to be gluten free. Additionally, doTERRA works with manufacturers who adhere to the strictest regulations ensuring that there is no cross contamination. Those with Celiac disease, gluten intolerance, and other gluten sensitivities can use all of our products with confidence.

Best Regards,
-David-
doTERRA Product Support Services"

No comments:

Post a Comment